Shuttle Buses and Driver’s Licenses…What You Need to Know

One of the questions the salesman at Carpenter Bus Sales get asked the most is: What sort of driver’s license will we need to drive a shuttle bus? The confusion can sometimes stem from different states referring to the same type of certification using different names. For example, some states use the term chauffeur’s license. Some states use the term Commercial Driver’s License. By definition, a commercial driver’s license will allow a driver to operate different types of commercial vehicles such as a dump truck, cement trucks and the like. A chauffeur’s license is generally limited to driving limousines and other livery vehicles. Also, each individual state may have it’s own requirements and classifications that might be stricter than federal law.

As a general rule…to carry passengers, the federal law requires a commercial drivers license to drive a vehicle carrying 16 passengers or more INCLUDING the driver. If your organization or church has a vehicle that totals 15 passengers INCLUDING the driver, then you would not likely need any special drivers license to operate it.  In the event you decide to purchase a used shuttle bus that would have 16 passengers or more (including the driver), the you would likely need to get a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a Passenger Endorsement. Remember…each state has it’s own requirements so you will need to check with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Transportation for proper licensing requirements.

It is possible to make a simple phone call to the place where you get your driver’s license and find out your state’s requirements. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to call your salesman and they’ll be glad to assist you in finding the perfect bus for your organization. Getting a shuttle bus drivers license doesn’t need to be difficult. Call Carpenter Bus Sales today at 800-370-6180!!

Don’t Miss Our July 2024 Pricing Specials! DOWNLOAD HERE
Simple Share Buttons